Looking for Northwestern WebMail guide? Find everything you need to know about using this Northwestern Webmail Here.
What is Northwestern WebMail?
Northwestern Webmail is an email service which may be accessed using a standard web browser. You can your access your email account through any web browser on a computer using the Outlook Web App, or webmail.
Northwestern has partnered with Google to provide G Suite for Education accounts for student collaboration. G Suite email accounts are official student email accounts. Most Northwestern students, will use @u.northwestern.edu accounts.
Microsoft 365/Outlook accounts are official email accounts for faculty and staff.
What is NetID?
At Northwestern, NetID is your electronic identity. NetIDs are provided to active members of the University community as a results of having been entered into myHR (faculty/staff) or CAESAR (students).
You must activate your NetID before you’ll use it. You’ll be notified when your NetID has been created and you’ll begin the NetID activation process. Students receive their NetID Activation Code from their school or the Admissions Office.
Activate Your NetID
Once you have received an activation code, you can activate it by going to NUValidate.
- Enter your NetID and your activation code.
- Follow the password creation guidelines and establish answers to your security questions.
Reset NetID Password
- Go to the NU Validate log in page.
- Enter your NetID and leave the Password field blank.
- Click on Forgot Your Password? link
- Answer at least two of your security questions.
- Follow password change prompts and click Change Password.
Northwestern Webmail Log in
- First open this webpage.
- Select your email service:
- Then enter your NetID and Password
- Click on Log In button.
Collaboration Services: Log In to Outlook Web App (OWA)
- Go to collaborate.northwestern.edu
- Select “This is a public or shared computer” if you are NOT using your work computer, or are on a computer that is in a public space, On the login screen
- Select “This is a private computer” if you are using your work computer. This is what you will choose most of the time.
- Type your NetID and Password
- Click Log On. You are now signed in to OWA.
Northwestern – Incoming and Outgoing Server Details
|northwestern.edu – Incoming (IMAP) Mail Server details|
|User Name||Your full @u.northwestern.edu email address|
|northwestern.edu – Outgoung (POP) Mail Server details|
|User Name||Your full @u.northwestern.edu email address|
|Server port||587 or 465|
Setting up your @u.northwestern.edu (or other Google G Suite) account in Outlook
- Open a web browser and log in to your email at http://accounts.google.com.
- Click the gear icon.
- Select Settings
- Click the Forwarding and POP/IMAP
- Under IMAP Access, click the Enable IMAP radio button.
- Click on Save Changes button.
- Click the circular portrait icon or letter and click My Account.
- On the new page, click the Security tab and scroll down until Less Secure App Access is seen.
- Click the slider next to Allow less secure apps to turn it to ON.
- Close your web browser.
- Step 1
- Step 2
Click the File and click Add Account.
- Step 3
Select Manual setup or additional server types and click Next.
- Step 4
Choose POP or IMAP and click Next.
- Step 5
Enter following details:
– User Information: Your name and full @u.northwestern.edu email address
– Account Type: IMAP
– Incoming Mail Server: imap.gmail.com
– Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP): smtp.gmail.com
– Logon Information: Your @u.northwestern.edu email address and account password
- Step 6
Click on More Settings…
- Step 7
Click on the Outgoing Server
- Step 8
Check the My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication
- Step 9
Select the Use same settings as my incoming mail server
- Step 10
Click on Advanced tab.
- Step 11
Enter the following details:
– Incoming Server (IMAP): 993
– Use the following type of encrypted connection: SSL
– Outgoing Server (SMTP): 587 or 465
– Use the following type of encrypted connection: Auto
- Step 12
- Step 13
- Step 14
Outlook will now test the connection. Once this is complete, click Close.
- Step 15
Outlook 2016 (macOS)
- Click Outlook, then select Preferences…
- Tap Accounts.
- Click on the plus button, In the Accounts window, then select Other Email…
- Enter your full @u.northwestern.edu email address and Email account password (not your NetID password)
- Enter your information as listed below:
– User name: your full @u.northwestern.edu address
– Type: IMAP
– Incoming server: imap.gmail.com
– Outgoing server: smtp.gmail.com
- Make sure Use SSL to connect is selected for both incoming and outgoing server settings.
- Click Add Account.
Setting up your @u.northwestern.edu (or other Google G Suite) account on Android
- Open Gmail application
- Open Menu> Click Settings > Add Account
- Choose Google as the account type, and enter below details:
– Username: full FirstLastYear@u.northwestern.edu
– Password: your email account password
- Select the services you would like to sync to your device, then select Next
If you did not automatically “Sync Calendar” when originally configuring your G Suite account on your Android device, edit your settings to sync it:
- Open Settings.
- Select the Accounts
- Choose Google.
- Select your G Suite account.
- Check Sync Calendar.
Setting up your @u.northwestern.edu (Microsoft 365) account on Android
Microsoft Outlook for Android
- Select Get Started.
- Enter your @northwestern.edu email address, then click on Continue.
- When prompted with the Northwestern Online Passport
– Your @northwestern.edu email address should already be populated as the Username
– Enter your NetID password
– Click on Sign in
- If prompted to Activate Device Administrator, click Activate, then Activate this device admin app.
- When prompted to add another account, click on Skip.
- Tap Skip again to proceed to your Inbox.
Configuring your email client when transitioning to Microsoft 365/Exchange
Outlook for iOS
- Open Outlook and click on Add Account
- Enter your @northwestern.edu email address then click Sign In with Office 365
- Next Northwestern Online Passport page will appear. Log in using netid and Net ID password
- If prompted to add another account, tap Maybe Later
- Skip the Intro pages
- A prompt to enable notifications will appear, Turn on or say No Thanks, as desired
Apple Mail for iOS
- Click on Settings
- Click Passwords Accounts
- Tap Add Account
- Tap Exchange
- Type your Northwestern email address
- Enter Northwestern Exchange in the Description field
- Click on Next
- Click on Sign In when prompted to in the window that appears
- The Northwestern Online Passport will appear. Enter netid and your netid password
- Click Accept when Permissions requested appears
Northwestern university is the oldest chartered university in Illinois. Northwestern university was the third largest university in the United States by the 1900s under Henry Wade Rogers.
The university is composed of eleven undergraduate, graduate, and professional schools. The university also maintains a campus in Education City, Qatar and academic centers in Miami, San Francisco, and Washington, D.C.
- Project Management
- Facilities Information Technology (FIT)Planning Services
- Real Estate Services
- Undergraduate Programs
- Graduate Programs
- Continuing and Professional Programs
- Online Short Courses
- Pre-Collegiate Programs
- Colleges and Schools
Northwestern Webmail Content Overview
- What is Northwestern WebMail?
- What is NetID?
- Northwestern Webmail Log in
- Collaboration Services: Log In to Outlook Web App (OWA)
- Northwestern – Incoming and Outgoing Server Details
- Setting up your @u.northwestern.edu (or other Google G Suite) account in Outlook
- Outlook 2016/2013
- Outlook 2016 (macOS)
- Setting up your @u.northwestern.edu (or other Google G Suite) account on Android
- Setting up your @u.northwestern.edu (Microsoft 365) account on Android
- Configuring your email client when transitioning to Microsoft 365/Exchange
- About Northwestern
- Northwestern Services
Read Also: Comcast Webmail
Submit your review